Tuesday, November 8, 2011

build a bear therapy...

Today I was cleaning my room and found some of Joe's hats.  I gave them to the kids to wear.  Melyssa didn't want one at first but after a few minutes of seeing the other kids with them she decided she did want one.  She took it to the couch and sat down with it and I watched as she sat there and kissed the bill of the hat and then she laid down with it and started crying.  My heart breaks into a million little pieces everytime my kids get upset.  So I decided it was time for some therapy...retail style!! 

When Joe was in the hospital before he passed away the nurse cut us locks of his hair.  I bought little baggies and separated it out for each of us.  We took the baggies to Build-a-Bear in the mall and had our bears made.  When we put the little hearts in the bears we also put the baggies of Joe's hair in them.  Now when the kids (or I) are really missing Joe we can get our bears and give them a squeeze!! I told the kids it's like a daddy bear hug. 

I was kind of worried about how the kids would do with this but it went amazingly well.  The ladies at Build-a-Bear were terrific with the kids.  I explained to them what was going on and they were very sweet to the kids.  We are going to go back later and get clothes and stuff for them, but for now the kids are very happy.  And happy kids means happy mommy!!!!

Jonny named his bear "Joe" and Taylor named hers "papa bear", the other kids didn't name theirs anything to do with daddy but I don't think that matters. What matters is they have something they can hold onto to feel close to daddy when they need to.  When we did the birth certificates, we dated them October 15, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment